The Quality Control Inspector I is responsible for inspecting products to ensure they meet quality and contract specifications and meet external certification standards. Will be responsible for inspecting materials and finished goods to ensure they meet internal company requirements and customer requirements. Work with Shop Foreman and QC Manager to complete projects with high quality standards and deliver projects on schedule.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Responsible for ensuring that all materials and workmanship are completed in accordance with UL, STI, API, AWS, AISC, ASME, or CWB standards, drawings and specifications, as applicable per site.
· Maintain inspection of materials and finished goods to ensure they meet customer requirements and/or contract specifications, including but not limited to checking welds, welding consumables, base material, cut & formed parts, layout work.
· Review welding specs and/or requirements for each project and work with team to solve fabrication challenges.
· Document and segregate non-conforming fabricated material and workmanship.
· Review and work with site management & shop foreman to address remedies for non-conformance and their prevention.
· Insure Welding Specification Procedures (WPS) are current and being followed by certified welders.
· Supervise and/or conduct Welder Qualification Test Reports (WQTR) to AWS (D1.1 and/or Section IX) as applicable per site.
· Maintain annual calibration of welding equipment, QC inspection equipment and pre-qualifications for bolt, as applicable per site.
· Ability to obtain and maintain certification with AWS CWI and CWB Supervisor &/or Inspector licenses, code analysis, industry standards, procedures and processes, as applicable per site.
· Understand, support and implement company Quality Management System.
· Work with Quality Assurance & Site Managers and Shop Foreman to develop annual training programs for new and experienced employees to minimize product non-conformance.
· Represent the company, as needed, on field issues requiring investigation and decisions associated with product quality and conformance.
· Apply and work within appropriate controls related to Safety and Housekeeping.
Education & Experience
· Heavy physical activity performing strenuous activities daily of a primarily productive/technical nature.
· Outdoors and indoor shop environment with adequate ventilation.
· Normal operating hours and days: Monday–Friday with some weekends and nights as needed to meet customer needs.
· 40+ hours/week required according to the needs of the department; schedule set by Operations as needed to meet production schedules.