The Tool Room Machinist is responsible for machining tool parts used in the building of special machines, miscellaneous cutting tools, gauges, jigs and fixtures. This position will support tool and die and mold departments and other production tooling requirements.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Fabricates and builds cutting tools, jigs, fixtures, gauges and machine parts in specification with provided blue prints, sketches and verbal instructions.
· Performs second operations of steel and plastic parts on manual lathe and mill.
· May be asked to train on/run CNC mills.
· Troubleshoots mold, die and extrusion repairs as needed.
· Works with Technical department to develop parts for research and development.
· Builds various loading and crimping tools used in the production of parts.
· Conducts heat treatment as needed to repair tool and die parts and cutting tools.
· Determines best layout, setup and/or machining procedures according to blueprint specifications and tolerances.
· Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a High School Diploma or GED equivalent. This position should have 5+ year’s experience in a machine shop including apprenticeship. Previous experience in lean manufacturing a plus.
· Ability to setup and operate general tool room machines such as lathes, mills, grinders, band saw.
· Must have the ability to troubleshoot problems and provide maintenance and repair of existing tooling.
· Ability to operate manufacturing equipment in accordance with established procedures; requires knowledge of blueprints and work instructions.
· Must have knowledge of materials and material requirements as they relate to work orders.
· Ability to use calipers, micrometers, and indicators to ensure tolerances with .0005”
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with all levels of the organization both written and verbal.
· Ability to follow through on all jobs and work with little supervision.
· Knowledge of trigonometry and ability to conduct shop math.
· Must have a high level of attention to detail and excellent problem solving skills.
· Must have the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
· Should have basic computer skills.
This position is located in the tool and die department of manufacturing facility which requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, squatting, twisting, bending, and reaching. Must be able to move and handle varying sized tools and dies in a tool room environment. Requires lifting up to 50 lbs. Requires working with large machinery and cutting tools.
· Safety Glasses to be worn at all times when on the production floor
· Must have steel-toed shoes/boots