The Spring Technician is responsible for winding, forming and cutting Cantilever, Helical and Slantcoil spring from round wire, flat wire and strip stock. They must follow processes and procedures to operate a variety of spring cutting and forming machines to ensure specifications are met and quality production of parts. In addition this position is responsible for troubleshooting and providing preventive and corrective maintenance support to the Spring Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Operates the large and small spring slanting/forming machine for slantcoil products; requires set up, ensuring machine is operating correctly and quality of spring output meets manufacturing print.
· Operates the automatic and manual coilers/winders for various types of spring; requires set up, monitoring the machine during operation, and ensuring quality of spring output meets manufacturing print.
· Operates spring cutting machines; requires set up, monitoring the machine during operation, and ensuring quality of spring output.
· Operates the Spring Optical Comparator to ensure correct dimensions of spring output.
· Operates the spring press (Bruderer) to produce spring according to specifications in the work order; requires set up of machine, threading strip stock into the die, inspecting spring exiting the die for quality issues and using calipers or the optical comparator to measure end product to ensure it meets the manufacturing print.
· Utilizes the Total Preventive Maintenance (TPM) program; requires performing preventive maintenance for machines and equipment.
· Performs maintenance, service and repair of spring equipment including minor electrical and/or mechanical systems.
· Diagnoses machine and equipment failures as needed with minimal assistance.
· Maintains, repairs and replaces equipment and/or parts as needed with minimal direction.
· Ensures appropriate recordkeeping of all duties performed.
· Performs daily, weekly and monthly maintenance, service and repair of equipment in an effective and timely manner to ensure maintenance requirements are met.
· Works with outside maintenance crews for more specialized projects.
· Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a High School Diploma or GED equivalent. This position requires a strong mechanical aptitude and should have 5-8 years previous machine experience in a manufacturing environment. Previous experience with spring fabrication is preferred.
· Ability to communicate with all levels of the organization effectively in English both written and verbal
· Ability to use QC equipment such as calipers and the optical comparator
· Must have basic knowledge of blueprints and work instructions.
· Must have basic computer skills
· Must have basic math skills to read and process work instructions
· Knowledge of materials and material requirements
· Must have knowledge of nonconforming material procedure
· Must be able to pass internal forklift certification
· Must understand and follow the Lockout/Tag-out procedure as required
· Ability to operate hand and machine tools with minimal direction
This position is located in a manufacturing facility which requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, squatting, twisting, bending, and reaching throughout an entire shift. Must be able to move and handle varying sized spools of spring in a noisy environment. Requires lifting up to 50 lbs. Requires working with measuring and cutting tools as well as miscellaneous hand tools.
· Safety Glasses to be worn at all times when on the production floor
· Must wear appropriate PPE for all work activities performed; varies based work