The Tool Grinder is responsible for building, repairing and maintaining miscellaneous machine cutting and grinding tools. They will setup and perform second operations duties on fixtures and seals and re-sharpen tools as needed. This position will support the tooling requirements of other departments as needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Creates and builds form tools with the provided grinding shop equipment in specification with provided blue prints, sketches and verbal instructions.
· Setup and operate general tool room machinery such as mills, universal cutter grinder, surface grinder, lathes, optical comparator and general shop equipment.
· Operate manufacturing equipment in accordance with established procedures; requires knowledge of blueprints and work instructions.
· Troubleshoot problems and provide maintenance and repair of existing tooling.
· Maintains all cutting tools in the department; requires re-sharpening, discontinuing unused tools and organization of the area, use calipers, micrometers, and indicators to ensure tolerances with .0005”
· Troubleshoots grinding problems and provides maintenance and repair as needed.
· Assists with second operations fixtures; includes setup and operation.
· Other duties as assigned.
· High School Diploma or GED
· 5 or more years previous experience with tool grinding in a machine shop environment is required.
· Previous experience in lean manufacturing a plus.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with all levels of the organization both written and verbal.
· Ability to follow through on all jobs and work with little supervision.
· Must have a high level of attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills.
· Must have the ability to the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
· Should have basic computer skills.
This position is located in the tool and die department of manufacturing facility which requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, squatting, twisting, bending, and reaching. Must be able to move and handle varying sized tools and dies in a dirty, dusty and noisy environment. Requires lifting up to 50 lbs. Requires working with large machinery and cutting tools.